If you thought that electric hybrids are only from premium flagship models, Subaru has taken will surely prove you wrong with their brand new 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid. The company is looking to provide plug-in hybrid engines to mid-tier refreshed models.
Not only does it impress buyers with its huge array of features, but it seems to provide an excellent value-for-money. This next generation Crosstrek model was first unveiled at 2016 Geneva Motor Show. There’s little information to go with, but there are some for a proper speculation and review.
2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Design Upgrades
When it comes to design changes in this new 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid, there have been significant improvements. Even though certain features have been kept under wraps till the model is officially released, there are a few known improvements that look fantastic. Let’s take a look at those:
- Modified and re-engineered chassis design to include battery mass and improve handling changes.
- Additional sound insulation with redesigned steering control.
- Auto start/stop feature has been added to improve fuel economy.
- Revised climate control feature with interior upholstery and dashboard changes.
- Unique instrument cluster design with a multi-function color display.
- Active grille shutters to reduce air resistance.
Engine and Performance
Subaru has incorporated its latest Boxer Hybrid technology to come up with an excellent power train for their new generation hybrid models. The inclusion of this technology has made 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid one of the most fuel efficient all-wheel drive vehicles in the US. An additional 100 volts, 13.5 kW Nickel Hydride battery is used to kick-start this setup.
This power train consists of a 2.0 LITER Subaru BOXER engine that has been combined with a 13.4 HP electric motor to provide a maximum power of 160 HP. This complete setup has been integrated with Subaru’s ‘Lineartronic’ CVT module, as well as an optional 5-speed manual transmission system.
Fuel economy figures for this 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is incredible for its price range. It has already created a buzz among high rollers in hybrid power trains when it comes to its EPA ratings.
- Its hybrid plug-in offers 10% more coverage than its gasoline counterpart.
- It rates at 30 MPG in city drive and 34 MPG in highway drive.
- Its average CO2 emission is one of the lowest in the US.
Subaru is well known to include various top of the line safety features to their mid-tier vehicles. This 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is no exception to that as well. Some of its safety specs include:
- An improved pedestrian alert system with audible vehicle approach.
- Eye Sight electronic driver assist system.
- Cruise control and improved airbags.
- Blind spot monitoring.
- Lane Departure warning.
Price and Availability
Customers can anticipate several additional utility packages for 2018 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid in the future which adds more improvements to the base model. As for its price, the base model is estimated to cost around $27000, although higher trims might cross $30000. The finished product is all set to go on sale by mid-2017.